Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Grandma Bonner

My sweet grandmother passed from this life into the next peacefully last Saturday. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend her funeral in Salt Lake this past week, and was touched by all that this amazing woman has done in her life time. Grandma was 90 years old when she passed. She and my grandfather have been married happily for 62 years, and amazingly my grandfather is still living.

Like many of the grandkids, I think my most favorite memory of my grandma is each time we would visit her. She would hug us and then wrap her soft hands around our faces to pull us just inches from her face, and then would say, "now who is this?" Grandma had gone blind 15 years ago and needed us to be that close to tell which grandchild we were.

There are so many wonderful stories I could tell about my grandmother, her life was one filled with love, and service, but I wanted to share just one that was told by my uncle at the funeral. One I never had heard before, but will always remember for as long as I live.

When my uncle was just a boy in elementary school he wore glasses..and was occasionally teased for this. One day he remembers walking from from school. 2 brothers who lived just on the other side of town beat up my uncle and in the process broke his glasses. When he got home my grandmother was more than upset (no one messes with your kids right) She asked my uncle where these boys lived and decided she would march right over there and have a talk with their parents. 'What kind of parent would raise their kids to be bullies or permit this kind of behavior", my uncle recalls her saying. Grandma was gone for a couple hours. When she finally got home, my uncle, eager to find out how things went asked my grandma what had happened. Grandma said that she had reached their home and been so shocked to see the run down dirty little home they lived in, and to meet the single mom raising all those boys on her own, that her heart had been touched and she had come home to get a package of food and supplies ready to take over to this poor family.


My grandmother has had such an impact on me. She lived a happy, righteous life, never complaining when times were hard, and always serving and helping others. My aunt said she was a very classy woman and loved the "finer things in life" but never sought after them. Instead she sought for a strong relationship with her Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ.
I feel so blessed to have had this sweet valiant daughter of God for my Grandma. I love you!







Even though the circumstances in which we were able to get together were sad, it was so nice to be able to see my family. Funerals always make you realize just how important we are to each other. The 24 hours we were together went by way too fast!








I love my parents! They are such good people and are wonderful examples to me. I wish we had longer to spend together.




On our way down the hill in the cemetary we passed this grave and had to stop. It is President Hinckley's grave. It was gorgeous, and there was such a peaceful feeling there.

7 comments:

Scott said...

That is really cool, LO, that you were able to make it to the funeral. It is always so amazing to learn more things about your grandparents. When I was at my grandpa's funeral, I learned some great things about him (I already knew that he was great, just additional things). This is Lindsay by the way.

Mandy Stewart said...

Hi Lori... I was excited to hear that you and Tiff have been hanging out. What a small world. i have peeked at your blog to see what you are up too. Congrats on the baby and I am sorry to hear about your g-ma. What were you at Ricks. Same as me. It seams like I saw you there but i can not remember for the life of me. Anyway, my email is mandyj1979@hotmail.com.... e-mail me your e-address so I can invite you to my blog! I would love to catch up! WHat a small world!

BrockandBonnieRiley said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma, she sounds like an amazing women.

I bet that was fun to see family, you and your sisters look so much alike!

Weston and Becky said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. The next month will fly by and before you know it you'll know what you're having. We moved to American Fork but miss Sandy. Are you still in town or was it just a quick visit. Let us know next time so we can get together.

Cheyenne and John said...

So sorry for the occasion, but glad you got the little family reunion! How are you feeling- btw?? You look great!

Shannon said...

Lori - I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I remember hearing about her when I was younger :) Tim's only living grandparent, his dad's dad just passed away yesterday. We are headed to St. George this weekend for his funeral. I miss you and just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and despite the sadness on our side, there is so much joy on the other side that makes it so that we can smile, even at funerals! I love you.
Shannon

Jamie said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss Lori! It's so hard losing such a close person in your life. Hope you are coping ok...