I have caught the make it myself bug...you know where I look at all the cute things others are doing and think,"I can totally do that too!" Well the problem for me comes when I actually have to "do it".
I found the coolest fabric for super duper cheap at a store and bought it thinking window panels are easy...they're just straight lines, I can do that! Well here is how my straight line 2 window panels project went.
I went over to my neighbors to borrow her machine and have her help me with cutting out and pinning the panels. That first day at her house went great, and so I got a little cocky. I told her if I could just borrow her machine, for a couple days I would have the panels done fast. After all it's straight lines...piece of cake right? Nope! I borrowed the machine from her in the afternoon, after 10 minutes of sewing (half of one panel) the stitching stopped. I looked at the thread and noticed it had come out of the needle. So I went to re-thread the machine and..."hmmm. One of the pieces I'm suppose to thread thru is gone...that's weird, it was just here." After playing around with it for 15 minutes and not finding where the little arm went I was suppose to thread my needle through I called my neighbor and asked her if she had time to stop by that evening. She did, and guess what. The arm had just gone inside the machine as I was fumbling around with lowing the needle. It was an easy fix..so easy I felt a bit embarrassed to have her come over to fix it. Oh well!
So I am back sewing again... 15 mintues later (just finishing panel #1) the bobbin runs out. Who knows how to thread a bobbin..not me? I wait to call my neighbor until the next morning (2 visits in 1 night is a bit much) She comes over again and threads the bobbin for me, while I watch and think, "wow, that's easy".
Ok, off to sewing again. (well not for a couple hours until Brenton had gone down for a nap) Panel #1 is done and panel #2 started when the machine just won't go..it just won't. Well I did not want to call my neighbor again...but I did. I called her that night and told her I couldn't figure out what was wrong. She assured me the machine was old and probably just needed to be oiled. So she came over AGAIN and fixed the machine for me. Well by this time, christmas was just a week away and my family would be coming into town in a couple days. I was too overwhelmed to finish the panels before they got there (and probably wouldn't have had time at the rate I was going)
Christmas is over and I am anxious to finish my project. What else could go wrong now..I had overcome all the obstacles there were. I borrowed the machine again and assured my neighbor I only had 2 more panels to go and I would be done that night. I started sewing and after 10 minutes the bobbin ran out again. Now I had seen my neighbor wind the bobbin so I thought it would be a piece of cake. It wasn't. I tried for 30 min to figure it out. I even enlisted Jon's help. No dice. But there was NO WAY I was calling my neighbor again to tell her I couldn't remember how to wind the bobbin and to please come over for the 5th time. So, I got the thread out and I wound the bobbin by hand. 2o minutes later I was back in business. I finished the last of the panels and got them hung. And as I was exhausted, I decided to take a break from sewing for a bit =)


I just got done w/ putting up window treatments in our room and in our foyer

2 more rooms to go and I am DONE w/ curtains!
4 comments:
ha ha ha ha... way to go with the projects. They are SUPER CUTE... despite the headache... ps. i can't believe you spun the thread by hand (though I would ahve done that too... I wonder if I can still figure out my machine that doesn't see much daylight)
Good work Lori. You have a great neighbor/friend to come to your rescue!
p.s. I totally dont sew, not even straight lines, so major props to you!
Great job Lori! Sewing machine's can be SO frustrating! I can't get mine to sew a straight stitch... it's decided it only wants to sew in zigzag mode. Oh well! It adds a fun flare to everything. :)haha.
Wow, they look great!! I love them! And the drapes in your room look awesome, too. Not like prison stripes at all:)
Post a Comment