Our not so little guy turned the big:
over a month ago. Yikes, where have the time gone? Anyways, I figured I should blog about his fun bday and little 2 year old quirks before I forget them (the quirks of course won't soon be forgotten since I live w/ them everyday)I felt a little guilty on Brenton's b-day b/c I took off and left him w/ Jon for the first half of the day while I went to a photography class. Could we say it was kind of a birthday present to him b/c I will definitely be taking better pictures of him now:)
Anyways, back to the birthday...during Brenton's nap Jon and I decorated the entire downstairs (oh man I love birthdays). We put up streamers and balloons, baked cupcakes, and busted out the "HAPPY BIRTHDAY BANNER". We wrapped his 2 gifts and placed them right at the bottom of the stairs where he would instantly see them. We got him a chalk board from Ikea, and Jon spent awhile making a happy birthday sign on it...and I must admit it looked pretty stinken good. And we were not let down. Brenton loved everything. He looked around for awhile at all the colors in the room...played w/ the balloons, ripped open his other gift (a bag full of blocks...his obsession right now) Then we headed off to Chuck E Cheeses for some games. And if I am being completely honest I have to say it...what has happened to chuck e cheese? It's so ghetto now!!! Almost scary to be there. But, we made the most of it and Brenton even hugged chuckie..(um that name gives me chills) w/ some coaxing. Then we came home and finished off the night eating chocolate cupcakes and building cool stuff w/ his new blocks.
I think it finally dawned on me that Brenton has "entered" his terrible 2s when he started growling at me. When he's upset he makes a really mean face (he practices in the mirror) and gets up close to me and growls...pretty much like a wild animal. Part of me thinks it's funny, part of me thinks it's cute (that he is trying to figure out how to express his emotion when he's frustrated) and part of me thinks it's scary. Where did my sweet little boy go? But here we are. Entering into a whole new world.
Apart from the growls and more frequent temper tantrums this is such a fun stage. He is growing up fast and amazes me at what he understands now. The other day I was helping Jon pack for a trip and asked him in conversation if he had packed his toothbrush. He said he already had and then Brenton said, "no here it is! Here your toofbrush daddy". And pulled out a spare one of his toothbrushes. We were shocked he was following what was going on!
Jon has been gone quite a lot working in California for pre-season and Brenton is very aware of it. He frequently picks up a phone in the office (one that doesn't work and is just for looks) and has conversations w/ daddy. They go something like this. "Hi daddy. No. I yike it. Bella.(his cousin who he adores) you in airplane? Up in sky? Ok, I see you. Followed by a big kiss. Lots of random words and phrases mixed together. It is too stinken cute!
His favorite phrases right now are:
I don't yike it (for anything he doesn't want to eat, or do at the moment). He says this while turning his head in the other direction and covering his mouth or eyes or ears.
Hey mom, where we going?
Put it here...wite here! (very demanding I tell you)
Mom, I go night night. He says this several times during the day when he feels he needs to take a break. He'll lay down where he is an close his eyes for a couple minutes. Then wake up and tell me he went night night.
Mom, I tuti...followed by a giggle. (tuti means tooted)
Mom..is that funny? Followed by "mom, say that funny!" This reminds me of the TBS commercials. Is that funny? Yes, you can go ahead and laugh. :)
I want to wear it...my hat. Yoda, I mean Brenton seems to have some slight problems w/ his sentence structure...and I'm loving it!
And some of his quirks:
He loves to sit on my little potty and try to go, which usually doesn't happend. So instead he picks it up, puts it on his head, and says, "Ho Ho Ho" I Santa! Not really sure how in the world he would associate santa w/ the potty, but it sure makes me laugh. This will have to stop when he is a successful potty goer.
He must have his pillow and blanket w/ him and "properly placed" when doing several activities during the day. This little quirk definitely helps me become a better mom:)
When he asks me if he can do something he knows I will say no to, he asks w/ a big cute smile. Then when I say no he thinks of every possible variation of doing it to get my approval. Often this happens w/ a crayon, pen, or marker. I rite on this? (my white office desk...said w/ a huge grin) "No Brenton, not on mommy's desk." Brenton, "on here?" (the wall...w/ a bigger smile) "No bud, not the wall." B: "Here?" (his belly, or arms) And you get the picture.
Brenton will not play w/out me. Oh man he needs a sibling!!! He takes my finger and says, "wets go pway...mon (translation: come on) mommy!" If I resist he pushes me from behind...and oh man is he strong. I am usually forced to play w/ him!
And one more experience that just happened and makes me smile. It is a struggle every night when I read to him to be able to sit w/ him in the rocking chair. He usually wants me to sit on the ground and read to him. And sometimes I do...but normally I negotiate until he scoots over and lets me sit beside him (very cozy) A couple nights ago he was wanting me to sit on the ground and I said, "no you sit on the ground..." Well he replied OK! And got down on the ground and proceeded to read to me. It took him a bit to figure out how to turn the book around so it was facing me and he pointed w/ his fingers to the pictures while making up words to tell the story.

4 comments:
I can't believe he is 2. Where does the time go? It was fun reading your blog. I love reading about different kiddos quirks and what they are saying. Ada def has her quirks and they are coming in strong!
That is really cool that you are taking a photography class. Good for you. Now...take some pics!!
he is too cute, i love the blonde hair
He's so stinkin' cute!! I love when they're at this age and say such cute little phrases and do cute things!
all so so cute... though i was so looking forward to all the bday pictures...
Post a Comment