Thursday, May 22, 2008

Youth Conference 2008

We had an exhausting 3 day fiesta filled with service, partying, and no sleep for anyone. For Youth Conference this year we did a huge service project. Early, and I mean early Saturday morning we boarded buses and headed up to L.A . There, we spent the next 6 hours packing care boxes for the troops. We had an assembly line going with probably 50 people dropping their item in the box and passing it down the line. The other 200 people there volunteering that day were taking turns filling boxes. That particular Saturday also happened to be the hottest one to date this year. It was over a 100 degrees and we were in a warehouse w/ no AC. The experience was a wonderful one I don't think any of us will forget. The organization was so thankful to the youth for working so hard that day. We sent out 4000 packages in the time we were there. We left the warehouse exhausted and all zonked out on our bus ride home.
Arriving back in Newport, we changed clothes fast and all headed to the beach for a party and fireside. Our stake President spoke about the Youth being the next generation who will lead the church, and how they can prepare now for this. It was a wonderful talk. Sunday, was church and then testimony meeting. I had so much fun w/ these kids...and was so glad I could participate. If these are the next generation to be leaders in the church, it is in good hands! What an amazing group of Youth we have!!
Here are some of the pictures from our FUN weekend.
South Coast Ward girls- a very diverse group of girls I might add.

This is Piper, who serves in Young Womens with me. She and I were bunk buddies all weekend.

All of our Young Women minus the beehives. Not quite awake yet because it is 6 am in the morning.


I posted this picture because it reminds me of what one of the volunteers at this center told Cindy (the girl in the middle) After telling him that she loved to swim, he told us that he too use to be a swimmer. He said that he had won several trophies when he was younger. Then he added, "but guess what, those trophies won't go with me when I die. They won't mean anything. What will count is how much I helped others, and how I gave of myself." I loved hearing that, and was thankful he shared that with our youth.



This is a stack of thousands of boxes ready to be filled with care items for the troops.



And a picture of me with the beehives who didn't get to go to youth conference. This was taken for New Beginnings. And I have to say...I LOVE my calling in young womens. I would be happy never to have another calling beside young womens. These girls have become my adopted kids...and I adore them. They are so strong and true to themselves. They are full of life and light. As little beehives they are learning who they are now, and why they are here on this earth at this time, and I love being able to teach them and help them see their potential. Elizabeth, Autim, Ashley, Tari, and Lizzie.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, that is so sweet! What a beautiful blog. :)

Shannon said...

sounds incredible!!