American Heritage...not my favorite class in college. Not by far. In fact I think I skipped, or slept through most of the classes my freshman year at Ricks. Don't get me wrong, I have loved many various history classes...but american history was never one of those classes I got in to. UNTIL I took a church history class at BYU. I had an excellent teacher (Bro. Neil Anderson) who taught me how these historical events unfolded not by coicidence, but under God's watchful eye. That our founding fathers were inspired men of God who under his direction laid the foundation for this great country in which we now live and prosper. Since then I have loved learning more of the history of this country. And especially learning more of the men who were our founding fathers.
So now one of the things I love most about going to D.C is reading the quotes from these great men. Interestingly, most of them paid tribute to "our creator", to "God", to "that supreme being". We visited the Jefferson Memorial this last Sunday and there were 5 quotes in that building, each of them referencing God in some way. It really made me stop and think...
-That is why this nation became what it is today. Those men were religious people. They believed in God and I think believed and looked for His direction and guidance.
-And, how different things are today. How many of our leaders in government today reference God in their statements? How many contribute their successes to him? How many would admit they look to Him for direction. It seems "God" is a word that is almost forbidden to say.
-I think our government leaders today need to take a quick break and head to the nearest monument so that they can be reminded why this country is so great!!
"In God We Trust!"
Stop to check out Jon's horrible hack-job hair cut...apparently a lady at a near-by cheap hair salon was having a very bad morning and took it out on Jon. He's been to busy to get it fixed. Hehe...it looks like donald duck in the back. 
What a great quote from Thomas Jefferson.

4 comments:
You phrased that very well. It is awesome to know that those men were inspired by God, and that this nation was established by God-fearing men who sought His counsel and guidance.
Well said Lori. It's funny how the older you get you become more interested in history. I loved the touring D.C. for the reason too.
you guys are a cute family. loved this great post. when do I get to see you? lets make it soon! when's good?
well arent you guys the little traveling family. what a fun summer. D.C. is such a fun place! You are so right about our founding fathers. People dont realize what they did for us. I too slept through american heritage 3 times!!! Have you guys seen the john adams series? if not check it out. talk about amazing men who fought for us. glad you guys are having fun.
Post a Comment