Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fulfilled

I recently had a conversation with a friend about my feelings on motherhood that made me stop and think not only how my life has changed but also how my daily perspective has changed. I went from working full time and having a very busy calling at church to having my days totally free with little responsibility at church. A huge change!

I remember before Brenton was born thinking how cool it would be to not be working and have so much time for myself to do what I wanted. I had visions of the FUN things I would do while he was there with me. And I admit after he was born and I got back into the swing of things it was easy to plan my day around what I wanted and needed to get done.
But several months ago I decided to make sure my focus was on my cute little baby and not on me. I knew he wouldn't stay so little for too long (cute, yes). And no, everyday cannot be just about him. Sometimes I have deadlines to meet, I have errands to run, and he gets carted all over town, with no nap, and little play time with mom.
But most days I do try to make about him. And on those days if I take time to make my little guy laugh, if I teach him a new song, if I let him touch my face all over teaching him what each part is, if I stop to watch as he discovers something new in his world and talk to him about it, my day is complete. And even though I may not have done anything for myself, I am fulfilled!

2 comments:

Piper said...

GOOD for you, mama. Enjoy it while you can!!

cameron said...

I'm sure you always do more for your family... i'm glad you have found joy...