Friday, August 19, 2011

Trippin in Utah

Brenton & I took a fun whirl wind trip back to Utah for a beautiful wedding, family camping trip, kitchen project, and hang-outs with good friends. It was so much fun I thought twice about coming back to Alabama...except that we did miss our Jon.

It all started with a beautiful wedding. Dave and Megan got married in the Bountiful temple. The day went flawlessly (not common for a "Monk" wedding..in fact I may have to do a blog post about our funny wedding days). The reception was classy and filled with delicious food, and I may have eaten 20 + chocolate covered strawberries.



The beautiful couple. I loved Megan's hair-piece instead of the traditional veil..so hip.



I love this picture of my parents...it's so very handsome.

This is what happened while I was busy taking pictures and took my eye off this guy...


I couldn't really blame him though, it was a pretty hot hot day.

After the wedding fun my parents stayed a couple days at my house and we drove up on a Sunday to walk around the gorgeous American Fork canyon. Breathtaking is a good word to describe it. The pictures hardly do it justice.






The following week we headed up to Idaho Falls to visit my sis Lindsay and hang out with my Dad's family. We did a campout in Isand Park. It was an eventful 24 hours. My 2 sisters with husbands and I decided to float the near by river. We had been told it was a fun 2 hour float. WRONG. No 2 hours, and not so much fun after the first hour. My dad drove us up the highway about 20 min and let us out and then said he'd see us back at the camp in 2 hours(it ended right by our camp site) When we got in we noticed the water was pretty much stationary. We figured it would pick up just around the bend since right by our campsite it was flowing pretty fast. But that dang river did not pick up at all...not the first bend, second bend, or 50th bend. After an hour of floating slower than turtle speed we decided we better start rowing w/ our arms. (oh ya, we didn't bring paddles) So we rowed, and rowed. Over 2 hours into it our arms were tired and fingers were numb. The sun was starting to set and it was getting cold. We started panicking just a bit. At that point we all hung over the sides of our small rafts and stared rowing like crazy. Picture me in the front, half my body off the front of the tube doing the breast stroke move double time. My butt was up in the air in my sister's face. Oh man it was funny! 45 minutes later we found the put-out. Our whole family was there waiting and a little worried about us. We got our and our legs and arms would barely move from being so cold. I'm glad we can laugh about it now!

That night after we re-gained feeling we roasted hot dogs and made apple cobbler in our dutch oven. Oh so good! The night was not so good. I thought sleeping w/ Brenton in the same sleeping bag was a good idea...what was I thinking? He moved all night long, which unzipped our bag and left me freezing. I had no room. I think I fell alseep around 6:00 the next morning for 30 mins or so. Not so fun.


To make the morning even more memorable I locked my car keys in the trunk where are breakfast muffins were. Lovely! 2 hours later Gieco came thru and sent a road side assistance to unlock my car. Oh I am laughing just thinking about it...what a crazy fun camping trip!


The muffins were retrieved from the trunk...and devoured.











While we were home Brenton & I headed to the Highland splash pad several times with family and friends. I kinda love that place. It's free and Brenton has a blast.



This is Brenton's best buddy Beckam. They are like brothers. No they are not kissing in this picture. Just giggling with delight:)
So so much fun at home! We are back in the Bama and it's so great to be back with Jon. The summer is coming to a close...we are here for 4 more weeks and then we'll all be home for good. Ya, I can't wait!

Oh, I'll post our kitchen project when I get home. My dad, brother, and I put up an almond subway tile backsplash. Love it!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Lori! I was totally cracking up with this post. I can so picture you guys paddling like crazy and freaking out/laughing at the same time. LOVE IT. Gave me a good laugh this morning. It is something that I could see happening to me. Haha. What a fun time you guys had in UT/ID. Hope to see you in November :)

Megs said...

Thanks for saying I'm so hip! Wahoo!! Looks like you guys had a great time :) Hopefully we'll be there on the next camping trip/adventure you have!!

Brittany said...

Fun, fun! What a crazy camping trip. Love the picture of all the kids facing the lake...so cute.

Mimi said...

Hey there!

yes yes yes.. it was traverse mtn. I would have loved to see you!! Next time you come to Utah look me up! Ok... now on to the part where I tell you how cute your kids are! Your field pictures are BEAUTIFUL!

You look great too!

Mimi said...

Ok, I am starting to gather that maybe the little girl in the picture is a relative? She looks like she could be yours if she is not. :-)

Nycole said...

How much fun! I should have come and crashed your family party- I am soooo close! I know we've said this one million times, but let's get together soon! Are you guys extending!?